Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cat's In the Cradle

The final year begins December 21, 2011 at the start of the Winter Solstice.    I started thinking about writing this blog during the summer when the days were long and the smells of salt air and sunscreen were still ever present.  I like all the seasons, the change that they bring, but to be honest, winter is becoming my least favorite.   For all of Earth’s creatures, nothing is so fundamental as the length of daylight.   After all, the sun is the ultimate source of all light and warmth on Earth.  After the winter solstice, the days will get longer. Celebration time!  Now, with the winter solstice upon us, a sharp contrast to summer, the smell of freshly cut pine in the house.  We decided for the first time in a long time to go downtown and pick out a fresh cut tree as opposed to putting up the fake one.  Bet that is Made in America.   Whatever the season, I will be trying to record and preserve the events of the day, or at least something that is of interest.

Some of you may know that I love music, especially eclectic bands like Pink Floyd, and almost anything Alternative.   Outside of a few Ludacris or Eminem recordings, Rap and Hip Hop find themselves on the bottom the heap along with Opera.  Thanks to having three sons, there is never a shortage of new music to sample.   Skrillex,  and others like that have caught my attention with their highly technology driven sounds and melodies reminiscent of the days when pioneers like Kraftwerk starting experimenting with synthesizers.   Oddly enough, I am finding Dubstep, and Techno (trance) are starting to grow on me these days, especially while at the gym running on the treadmill, or elliptical.

On this day in 1974, Harry Chapin earned his one and only #1 pop hit when his bittersweet story-song "Cat's In The Cradle" reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100.

Music to me is like a placeholder in time….most classic songs almost instantaneously bring me back to a time and place, an experience.   Those of you that are my age or close to it, will likely remember "Cat's In The Cradle", and its’ clear message about the passage of time.  I am very fortunate to have my health, and have always had plenty of time to spend with family….no regrets.
  
The legacy of Harry Chapin lives on, and a local charity, Long Island Cares, the Harry Chapin Food Bank is a great place to make a donation.  I donated a vehicle to them a few years ago.

Being on vacation, my plan was to sleep late, then take Sue’s (wife) car for an oil change, and new wiper blades.  Being a light sleeper, I was up early listening to the sounds of morning showers and breakfasts. Before getting out for the day, Luke (youngest son) calls from the school saying he is sick… so I go to Sequoya Middle School to sign him out.  Once he is back home and settled on the couch, remote in hand, I can restart my day.   I go to Jiffy Lube, then swing around to Costco to pick up a Christmas Turkey and Ham.  You can’t go to Costco for just two things (trust me)….turned out to be a half full cart by the time I made it to the checkout.   While putting away the frozen items, Edamame is spotted by Luke, who is feeling better already.  So after he finishes a plate of Edamame he says he wants to go back to school.  Back to school it is then.  Back home around noon to discover that Gavin (oldest son) and his friend Dan, decided to make pumpkin muffins.  Both just finished their first semester at college.   Kyle (middle son) went to his girlfriends house after school.  Wonder what time he is going to call to get picked up ?  Sue is home from work and heading to Sayville with Luke for some last minute Christmas shopping.  Not really last minute as there are 4 more days till Christmas.
  
As you can see, no doom or gloom this day.  Photo of the day "A different perspective"

No comments:

Post a Comment