Saturday, April 28, 2012

Goal

Woke up this morning in time to join a conference call for work.  It think this marks the 20+ day in a row working or participating in some sort of job related duties even on the weekends.

At near 2 hrs on the call, we have a breakthrough and the service we re trying to get working magically wakes up.  A sigh of relief, and then a glass of water and out into the cool morning air for a run around Holbrook.

My loop takes me a little over 42 minutes and covers nearly 4.5 miles.  Life is good as I still have time when I get back to cool down before heading out for the day.

This day in history "Three weeks into a journey from Tahiti to the West Indies, the HMS Bounty is seized in a mutiny led by Fletcher Christian, the master's mate. Captain William Bligh and 18 of his loyal supporters were set adrift in a small, open boat, and the Bounty set course for Tubuai south of Tahiti.
In December 1787, the Bounty left England for Tahiti in the South Pacific, where it was to collect a cargo of breadfruit saplings to transport to the West Indies. There, the breadfruit would serve as food for slaves. After a 10-month journey, the Bounty arrived in Tahiti in October 1788 and remained there for more than five months. On Tahiti, the crew enjoyed an idyllic life, reveling in the comfortable climate, lush surroundings, and the famous hospitality of the Tahitians. Fletcher Christian fell in love with a Tahitian woman named Mauatua."

Now, I have heard the expression, mutiny on the bounty...now I know what it means.  That guy Fletcher must have been a real piece of work.

Soccer is local today at Hauppauge, and since it was so nice out, I decided to make a nice sandwich and took a tall cup full of ice to pour my Starbucks frappacino into.  While the team warmed up, I ate my sandwich, talked to some of the parents and made sure my camera was ready to shoot.

The game starts and the two teams feel each other out, but it is not long before United take an early lead and never look back.  Some scrappy play in the 2nd half and Hauppauge receives 3 or 4 yellow cards.  They are obviously frustrated by the 2-0 lead the Kyle team (United) took in the first half.  Kyle makes sure that there is no catching up when he scores the 3rd goal.  A great win today for United as they have a great chance of taking 2nd place with only 1 game left to play this season.

After the game, Kyle asks to go to the mall to buy Gia a present.  They are celebrating their 1 year anniversary.  After getting home, I realize that the day has slipped away.  We order Chinese takeout, and after eating, Kyle gets picked up by Gia's dad for a ride back to the mall, so the two can go to dinner together.

I play some basketball with Luke, and loose 21-18.  That means I have to make cookies for Luke.  Wouldn't you know it, its 830 and time to pickup Kyle and Gia.  Instead of coming home, they want a dropoff at Gia's house.  I guess he will have to call me later and wake me up to pick him up.  Not too late I told him, as he has another soccer game tomorrow morning.  Will I ever get to fertilize the lawn ?

With all we do for our kids, there better not be a mutiny !

Photo of the day "Goal"


No comments:

Post a Comment