Thursday, April 12, 2012

Somewhere over the rainbow


Back in the office today, I find out that I can book a business trip to Eagan Minnesota, close to Mall of America, and St. Louis Missouri, close to the Gateway Arch.

Normally I would be excited to be planning a business trip with the hopes of seeing a new place, or going fishing.  Fishing season in the Midwest is not open yet, and the two  cities in 5 days will leave scant little time for site seeing or recreation.

I have already been to the Mall of America and the Gateway Arch, but maybe I will find time to see something different.

All this makes me think about the summer vacation to Ocean City Maryland.  Even after 10 years and multiple orbits to the same restaurants, beaches, fishing piers, and crabbing spots, we always look forward to it.   I am thinking about getting a tattoo when I am there..

This day in history “The space shuttle Columbia is launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, becoming the first reusable manned spacecraft to travel into space. Piloted by astronauts Robert L. Crippen and John W. Young, the Columbia undertook a 54-hour space flight of 36 orbits before successfully touching down at California's Edwards Air Force Base on April 14.
On September 17, 1976, NASA publicly unveiled its first space shuttle, the Enterprise, during a ceremony in Palmdale, California. Development of the aircraft-like spacecraft cost almost $10 billion and took nearly a decade. In 1977, the Enterprise became the first space shuttle to fly freely when it was lifted to a height of 25,000 feet by a Boeing 747 airplane and then released, gliding back to Edwards Air Force Base on its own accord..”

I get home and put on a pot of meatballs so we can have meatballs and spaghetti.  Luke helps make the meatballs (his choice, balls or squares).

I witness wet stuff falling from the sky.  Rain is falling, or at least a drizzle.  On and off clouds and sun, and then Sue tells us to go outside.

We see a rainbow off in the distance.  Really when we look again we notice a faint second rainbow as we stand watching in a light sun shower.

After dinner I go to get Kyle and his friends from the mall. 

After a 3 mile run around the neighborhood tonight and I check my stats and I am at 200 miles since the start of the year.  Add in another 40 or so miles on the elliptical.

Still a bit short of my goal of 1000 miles for the year, but there is plenty of time for long runs to make up the deficit.

Photo of the day “Somewhere over the rainbow”



No comments:

Post a Comment