Monday, February 20, 2012

Basement Floor Day 1


On this day off, I woke up and made my way to Quest Labs for my 6 month blood test.  I get there at 0920 and there is barely an seats in the waiting room.  I did make an appointment for 930, so I was hoping most of the room was filled up with walk-ins.  My neighbor, Nancy sees me and says hello, so at least I have to someone to chat with.  We have known each other for years as Sue has been teaching religious instruction forever and their daughter is in the class.  Gavin has been friend with her son Shane since I can remember.

How lucky can you get, I get called to have my blood drawn and am out of there before 10am.  I head home to meet the guy who is going to try and fix my snow blower.  As I sit down to eat breakfast the doorbell rings.    Anthony takes a look, manages to get my auger off of the machine and lets me know the three additional parts I will need.  Sears parts direct has the parts I need for $17, so when they come in, Anthony will come back.  It may sow one of these days.

As promised we go out for a late Sushi lunch in Oakdale, and once back home, the procrastination in regard to starting the basement floor comes to an end.  Luke is painting the basement doors as I start to layout the underlayment.  Before dinner we start laying the first couple of laminate planks.  There is some frustration getting them to lock and not leave any seams.  It looks and sounds easier than it actually is.  Kyle is helping, and after some trial and error, we found our groove (pun intended).

After dinner we continue to make some cuts, lock tongue and groove, tap the boards in place with the special tapping block and manage to get about 1/5 of the way thru. Time for some rest and relaxation as my cold is bothering me. 

This day in history “From Cape Canaveral, Florida, John Hershel Glenn Jr. is successfully launched into space aboard the Friendship 7 spacecraft on the first orbital flight by an American astronaut.
Glenn, a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps, was among the seven men chosen by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in 1959 to become America's first astronauts. A decorated pilot, he flew nearly 150 combat missions during World War II and the Korean War. In 1957, he made the first nonstop supersonic flight across the United States, flying from Los Angeles to New York in three hours and 23 minutes.”

Back on earth, we plan on doing some more flooring tomorrow.  I sure hope we can make better progress now that we have found a system.  Having a couple of 4inch round columns is not going to be easy to get around. 

Photo of the day “Basement Floor Day 1”



No comments:

Post a Comment