Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Beatles


Worked from home today, so that PC Richard can come to take a look at our refrigerator, which is running by the way.  The issue is the water dispenser is now really slow to dispense, and even after changing the filter, it is still slow.  Now, PC Richard is usually pretty good when you are under warranty or like me paid the extra money for an extended warranty.  Not knowing what time they are coming until the morning of the appointment, I receive a call at 0830 telling me that I will have someone stop by between 12-3 pm.

Without a commute, I started work at 0630, so by 1130  it was time to start thinking about taking a break and eating lunch.  Would have liked a nice slice of pizza, but couldn’t risk leaving the house, just in case PC Richard was a little early.  Instead, it was the last of the leftover paella and chicken wings.  Ironic, that the service guy showed up at 1pm, probably right after his lunch.  He asks me what the problem is, checks the flow of water from the dispenser, takes the filter out and tries again.  No change in the flow.  I let him know that I changed the filter before calling for service and that I checked for kinks in the supply line.  He writes down the model number and says that the flow is better than a lot of other refrigerators he services already.  At about half the flow as we deem normal, I asked what can be done to troubleshoot.  He says he will order a valve and when it comes in, he will call and schedule an appointment to replace it.

What do people do when they have an appliance that is not working, let’s say the refrigerator is not running and all your food is warm  . 1st, I guess you don’t have to “catch it”, 2nd would you expect the service people to actually have any parts for the appliance ?  I  really think those days are over, where you call a repairman and he diagnoses and either has the part or will run to a distributor to get one and have you back in business the same day.

A similar event played out last week when Mercury Solar came out to check the solar panels, and they too did not have any parts, and I guess had no intention at the initial visit to do much more than basic triage.  So, now I can look forward to Mercury Solar coming back tomorrow, they just called to let me know, and PC Richard, who knows.  Good thing I can work from home.

This day in history “On February 7, 1964, Pan Am Yankee Clipper flight 101 from London Heathrow lands at New York's Kennedy Airport--and "Beatlemania" arrives. It was the first visit to the United States by the Beatles, a British rock-and-roll quartet that had just scored its first No. 1 U.S. hit six days before with "I Want to Hold Your Hand." At Kennedy, the "Fab Four"--dressed in mod suits and sporting their trademark pudding bowl haircuts--were greeted by 3,000 screaming fans who caused a near riot when the boys stepped off their plane and onto American soil.
Two days later, Paul McCartney, age 21, Ringo Starr, 23, John Lennon, 23, and George Harrison, 20, made their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, a popular television variety show.”


I was too young to remember, but through replays over the years of their appearance in the Ed Sullivan show, I have memories of it that feel like they are real.  Having older sisters I the house, there was never a shortage of music growing up.  Donny Osmond was not my favorite, but being techno dweeb that I am, I was a member of the battery club at Radio Shack.  When the first portable transistor radio came out, I had to have one.  Anyway, back the Beatles.  My first record, in those days vinyl was purchased at Wainrights department store in Flushing, and of course it was the Beatles album “Revolver”.


I have since owned every Beatles album, or CD, or both.  As a teenager, I can remember playing the Red, White, and Blue double albums on a Friday afternoon before going to the weekly boy scout meeting at the community center.  No wonder I have nearly every song memorized.  I still love music, mostly rock, and even though I never got to see the Beatles in concert, they are still one of my favorites.   There has never been anything like it, and there never will be.


Photo of the day “Beatles”




P.S. I think my hair resembles some of these Beatles 

No comments:

Post a Comment