Monday, March 5, 2012

Tax Man


I went to see my accountant today with a positive attitude, and a folder full of papers.  Jay apologized for keeping me waiting while his computer was restarting.  Seems it was acting sluggish so he decided to reboot for the first time in who knows how long.  Like most Windows machines it then went about its merry way finding and loading updates.  This gave us some time to chat about the families, and since I have been coming to his office for about 15 years, it wasn’t long that we started ranting about the cost of college educations.

Years ago, I went to see his dad, Murray, who at 84 years old is still doing taxes and greeting patrons on pretty much a daily basis…at least during tax season.  It is a true inspiration seeing him with sharpen his pencils and still use the calculator…you know the one with the big typewriter style keys and mechanical gears…Jay on the other hand is all high tech with his fancy tax program, and internet access.  If he doesn’t know the answer or a rule, which is rare, he is only a couple of clicks away.

This day in history “
On this day in 1963, the Hula-Hoop, a hip-swiveling toy that became a huge fad across America when it was first marketed by Wham-O in 1958, is patented by the company's co-founder, Arthur "Spud" Melin. An estimated 25 million Hula-Hoops were sold in its first four months of production alone.
In 1948, friends Arthur Melin and Richard Knerr founded a company in California to sell a slingshot they created to shoot meat up to falcons they used for hunting. The company’s name, Wham-O, came from the sound the slingshots supposedly made. Wham-O eventually branched out from slingshots, selling boomerangs and other sporting goods. Its first hit toy, a flying plastic disc known as the Frisbee, debuted in 1957. The Frisbee was originally marketed under a different name, the Pluto Platter, in an effort to capitalize on America's fascination with UFOs.
Melina and Knerr were inspired to develop the Hula-Hoop after they saw a wooden hoop that Australian children twirled around their waists during gym class. Wham-O began producing a plastic version of the hoop, dubbed "Hula" after the hip-gyrating Hawaiian dance of the same name, and demonstrating it on Southern California playgrounds. Hula-Hoop mania took off from there.”

The Hula Hoop was a big hit when I was growing up in the Pomonok projects.  It was an inexpensive toy that was good for all sorts of games.  Sure, you could put it around your waist, neck, arm or leg and do the hula-hula.  Or, you could use it to toss over the top of a person standing a few yards away, and count points for each ringer.  One of my favorite things to do with was to give a good backspin on a forward toss.  This would cause the hula-hoop to glide across the floor getting further away from you, until its forward momentum would cease and the backspin would bring it back towards you.  Like I said, growing up in the projects, we made the most of everything we got.

Luke was introduced to the hula-hoop some 40 years later, and was a natural at it.  He can also do a mean belly dance.  There was a time when he was young enough, we could get him to do the hula hula…hula hula.

Leftovers for dinner tonight and Luke went to church with mom, while I went to the gym for a quick workout.  Tonight’s gym time was a recovery or light workout.  20 / 20 / 20  20mins – Run, 20mins Elliptical, 20mins Bike.  Sure, I sweat, but no weights and no pushing too hard.

The Beatles “
Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
And you're working for no one but me.


I am happy to report that my investment in Solar Panels is looked upon favorably by the tax man.  The Feds provide a 30% tax Credit, and NYS another 25% tax credit.   Needless to say, I walked out the accountant’s office with a big smile, and a tax return pending since we filed electronically.  This will replenish the dwindling supply that my children think is endless.  Money does not grow on trees.

Photo of the day “Tax Man”


No comments:

Post a Comment