Friday, September 21, 2012

13.1

What did you do on this last day of summer.  Well, it is a school and work day for most of us, so our options  are limited.  Limited by schedules, and commitments.  For a welcome change of pace, I had no early morning meetings.

Last night for some reason I thought today was going to be the first day of fall.  Why wouldn't I, as there is a chill in the air, and the days getting shorter and shorter.  I decided to not limit my run as I have been doing due to time, and ventured out at 630AM.

This day in history "H.G. Wells, pioneer of science fiction, is born on this day in Bromley, England.
Wells was born near London and received a scholarship to the Normal School of Science in London. After school, he worked as a draper's apprentice and bookkeeper before becoming a freelance writer. His lively treatment of scientific topics quickly brought him success as a writer.
In 1895, he published his classic novel The Time Machine, about a man who journeys to the future. The book was a success, as were his subsequent books The Invisible Man (1897) and The War of the Worlds (1898)."

It must have been a time machine, or some other twist that made me keep running past my usual way points. 2 mile mark as I cross Sunrise Highway near the Atia Flea Market.  The baseball field next to the Islip Grange at mile mark 3.  Mill Pond at mile mark 4, and I said why not continue into downtown Sayville to the Sayville running company.  I set my sights on the Long Island Maritime Museum in West Sayville where we feasted on lobsters a few weeks ago.   Turns out to be a new way point, mile mark 6, and a few hundred yards down from there is a Sayville dock with a porta potty.

Quick potty break taken and then it is a retrace of the the previous 6 miles in reverse order.  Feeling like Forest Gump until I hit mile 10 and realize I am still 2 miles from home.  I keep the pace, and try not to think about the the little twinge in my hip, the creak in my knee, and the prospect of another runners toe.  As I approach Maria Court, a scant half a mile from home I realize that I am about 10 minutes away from running a half marathon.

I continue down Broadway Ave. for a few minutes, and then back track toward home.  A quick loop in the neighborhood to add another half a mile, and my Endomondo app announces 13 miles as I come down my street.  13.1 miles completed as I approach 20 Anthony Lane.  Home.  I can tell you it felt like a time warp, as it was hard to believe I had been running for for a little over 2 hours.

Pink Floyd

“Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells”


After work, where I arrived a little later than usual, it was pick up Luke, shop for some meat and sauce.  Meatballs and spaghetti for dinner.  Drop Kyle off at his soccer pasta party after he eats a plate of my pasta and a couple of meatballs (an appetizer for a 16 year old).  Lazy on the couch till it is time to pick him back up.

I have some tequila chilling in the freezer with my name on it.  Some advice from fellow runners is to lay low for a day or two rest.  I  may need to a hot shower tomorrow morning before working at the soccer concession.

Photo of the day "13.1"






No comments:

Post a Comment