Saturday, September 8, 2012

Black Toenails

I have had a couple of set backs this year in my quest for 1000 miles.  I am over 600 and still on track to reach 1000 before the end of the year.

The other day when I visited the Podiatrist, she told me there is not much she could do or advise me in regard to the purple / black toenails that some runners get.  What she did was take down the pressure and swelling of one of my toenails by cutting and draining the blister under my nail.  

No running Thur/Fri to let the toe feel better.  This morning a 7 mile run without any pain.

This day in history "Dutch Governor Peter Stuyvesant surrenders New Amsterdam, the capital of New Netherland, to an English naval squadron under Colonel Richard Nicolls. Stuyvesant had hoped to resist the English, but he was an unpopular ruler, and his Dutch subjects refused to rally around him. Following its capture, New Amsterdam's name was changed to New York, in honor of the Duke of York, who organized the mission."

Today we also had some severe weather and a tornado over the Belt Parkway.  New York is not supposed to get tornadoes.

Almost everyone who runs gets a black toenail. Getting your first one is a sign that you've moved your training into a higher level. While most runners blame a shoe that is too small, this is often not the primary cause. Certainly toe pressure from the shoe can make the toe hurt even more, but pressure from underneath seems to produce more black nails.

In my case, the longer runs are the primary reason for my runners toenails.  I will continue and adjust shoes and socks if the condition keeps flaring up.  I am not looking forward to losing any toenails, but then again, summer is almost over and I have never had good toenails or nice feet.

Photo of the day "Black Toenails"

 P.S. Sorry if I grossed everyone out.  It doesn't hurt anymore and that is the first one.  I now have three toenails that are either really pink, slightly purple, or almost black.  Running is an addiction.  A sickness.  


No comments:

Post a Comment