Sunday, January 15, 2012

American Pie

A lazy Sunday just the way I like it.   Woke up around 8am, and remembered that Luke wanted to get up early, as he says he is going to church early today.  Kyle and his friend Mike would need a ride to soccer practice at 930am, so I had plenty of time for a leisurely sausage egg and cheese on an English muffin.  A Bruce McMuffin and a cup of Keurig K-Cup Starbucks french roast and I was “loving it”.

I go upstairs at 830 to wake up Luke, who says he will get up later and go to church at noon.  Sue not far behind me, comes downstairs and gets a text message from coach Dan.  Cold and windy, he decides to cancel this mornings practice.  Sue being the teams book keeper, and communications person, sends out a calling post telling everyone they have the morning off.

Around 10, I decide to go to, you guessed it, Planet Fitness.  Who knew that fitness, and a runners high could be as addicting as food, alcohol, and other things bad for you.  I really like to go to the gym, and rarely miss a day of exercise (home or out) these days.

Drop Kyle off at Gia’s (girlfriend) house at 2 after picking up a 7eleven Slurpee.  Kyle never asks for a Slurpee.   On the way to 7eleven, I asked Kyle if he wanted me to buy Gia a Slurpee…he said the Slurpee was for her…”What flavor Slurpee did you get Gia” I asked, and was told “everything” with a smile…How can something so delicious have “pee” in it ?

Luke is getting picked up to go to a birthday party at Dave and Busters.  Lucky him, he will get to eat grease, drink lots of soda, and play games for a few hours.  I like D&B once in a while.  This is probably the first time we are not going to be there, having Luke under our watchful eyes, but he will be in good hands with our neighbor Nancy. 

With the Giants playing this afternoon, there will be a bit of contention, so I will pick Kyle up at 4:15, back home for the kickoff, then I need to figure out something for an early dinner.  Think we may be eating some leftovers, or heating up some frozen crap (Buffalo wings, mozzarella sticks, taquitos, and/or loaded potatoes).  Do you know why buffalo's can’t fly ?  They clip the wings when they are babies.

Did I tell you that Kyle has soccer tonight starting at 6pm…..Well, we are back home at 7:20, with Kyle having to be helped off the field with a knee injury.  It always worries me when the boys get injured.  Kyle extended going for the ball, the goalie coming out, and then the scream of pain.  He says the knee popped before he even collided and then popped back in place when his knee hit the gym floor.  Ice on the knee, elevated, and if it still hurts as much as it does now, we will be making a trip to the hospital for X-ray, CAT, or MRI.

With a couple of minutes left. Giants 37 Packers 20

This day in history "On January 15, 1972, "American Pie,", an epic poem in musical form that has long been etched in the American popular consciousness, hits #1 on the Billboard charts.”
The story of Don McLean's magnum opus begins almost 13 years before its release, on a date with significance well-known to any American who was alive and conscious at the time. Tuesday February 3, 1959, was the date of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the J.P. "the Big Bopper" Richardson—a date that would be imbued with transcendent meaning by Don McLean when he labeled it "the Day the Music Died." One might reasonably point out that the baby-boom generation has since invested its entire rock-and-roll experience with transcendent meaning, but don't blame Don McLean for starting the trend. "American Pie" wasn't written to be a generation-defining epic; it was written simply to capture McLean's view of "America as I was seeing it and how I was fantasizing it might become."


In 2001 "American Pie" was voted No. 5 in a poll of the 365 Songs of the Century compiled by the Recording Industry Association of America and the National Endowment for the Arts.

Don McLean is one of America's most enduring singer-songwriters and is forever associated with his classic hits "American Pie" and "Vincent (Starry Starry Night)". Since first hitting the charts in 1971, Don has amassed over 40 gold and platinum records world-wide and, in 2004, was inducted into the Songwriters' Hall of Fame. His songs have been recorded by artists from every musical genre, most notably Madonna's No. 1 recording of "American Pie" in 2000 and George Michael's version of "The Grave" in 2003, sung in protest at the Iraq War.

You all know by now how much music means to me.  There does not seem to be a day that goes by that I don’t get pulled back to a place and time when I hear an oldie.  While not my favorite genre, American Folk music like American Pie are just classic and enjoyable. 

A long long time ago
I can still remember how
That music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while
But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
**The day the music died**
So
Bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

Photo of the day “American Pie”

Can you guess what kind of pie this is ?

No comments:

Post a Comment