Saturday, January 28, 2012

Space Shuttle


I went down to the basement to measure for flooring.  Kyle really want wants the basement cleaned up, fixed up, and made back in to the hang out, recreation room that we once had before the great flood of 2010.  While I was down there, I realized that we have a huge mess to get thru, or at least to relocate to the small room that will serve as storage.   Over the past few years, it seems things that I would normally have brought up to the attic, have now made their way to the basement.  It is after all easier to carry things downstairs as opposed to navigating a rickety old pull down stair I the garage to get things into the attic.  Do we need to look for a sale on storage bins…seems there are never enough of those, and I can only imagine how many we have purchased over the years.

Oh yeah, went to the gym this morning and added another 5 mile run to top out the week at 20 miles.  I have been trying to increase my number of miles, and the duration of my runs.  So far so good, as long as I don’t push the pace, I seem to be able to not trigger any knee pain.  This may be because I have avoided the road, trails, track, and sidewalks, which I noticed hurts me.

This day in history “At 11:38 a.m. EST, on January 28, 1986, the space shuttle Challenger lifts off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, and Christa McAuliffe is on her way to becoming the first ordinary U.S. civilian to travel into space. McAuliffe, a 37-year-old high school social studies teacher from New Hampshire, won a competition that earned her a place among the seven-member crew of the Challenger. She underwent months of shuttle training but then, beginning January 23, was forced to wait six long days as the Challenger's launch countdown was repeatedly delayed because of weather and technical problems. Finally, on January 28, the shuttle lifted off.
Seventy-three seconds later, hundreds on the ground, including Christa's family, stared in disbelief as the shuttle exploded in a forking plume of smoke and fire. Millions more watched the wrenching tragedy unfold on live television. There were no survivors.


It was terrible watching this happen, and the space program was put on hold until the cause of this was disaster was found.  The same American ingenuity that brought us this reusable space vehicle, would figure out what happened, and engineer a solution.  There has never been another space shuttle designed and like I have said in previous posts, it would be a shame for us to not continue to race for space.  What I mean by that is a race to permanently occupy another planet or the moon.

Back down on earth, it is time to watch a movie, and settle in for the night.

Photo of the day "Space Shuttle"


No comments:

Post a Comment