Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dark Side of the Moon


What an awesome spring day we had today on January 7th.  The facebook status reported temperatures on Long Island at around 65 degrees.  Global warming ?  Maybe just a statistical anomaly, as earlier in the week it was down in teens.


Kyle had soccer practice, Gavin went for a long run over 10 miles, Sue ran some errands, and I was in and out of the house a couple of times.  Everyone made their way back home around dinner time, and we had some Paella.  One of my favorites dishes to prepare, and a special shout out to Dan and Angel who gave us a nice jar of Safron for Christmas.  Paella is just not the same without it.  After dinner a quick drive over to the indoor gym to watch Luke play some Futsal.  His new team, Sachem did not win tonight, but they played well and Luke scored a goal.


After coming back from the game, Luke and Kyle settled into some more Paella, and I prepped and put some pumpkin muffins into the oven.  I did tell everyone I like to cook.  Gavin is upstairs packing I think as tonight is his last night home for a while, as he prepares to go back up to Hartwick college for J-Term.  He misses his friends and the campus life, so he is actually very excited to be going back to his 2nd home.  Maybe Hartwick is actually his primary home as he will be spending more time there than back home in Holbrook.  We will miss him, but with facebook, blogs, txt, telephone, and hopefully some video chats, the time will fly by.


This day in history “ On 7 January 1610 Galileo observed with his telescope what he described at the time as "three fixed stars, totally invisible[72] by their smallness", all close to Jupiter, and lying on a straight line through it.[73] Observations on subsequent nights showed that the positions of these "stars" relative to Jupiter were changing in a way that would have been inexplicable if they had really been fixed stars.


Galileo Galilei - commonly known as Galileo, was an Italian physicist, mathematician, astronomer and philosopher who played a major role in the Scientific Revolution. His achievements include improvements to the telescope and consequent astronomical observations, and support for Copernicanism. Galileo has been called the "father of modern observational astronomy",[6] the "father of modern physics",[7] the "father of science",[7] and "the Father of Modern Science".[8] Stephen Hawking says, "Galileo, perhaps more than any other single person, was responsible for the birth of modern science."[9]


I have always been fascinated and intrigued by the likes of Galileo, Socrates, Aristotle, Newton, Tesla, and many other scientists for their discoveries.  I was a technology major in school, and keep a watchful eye on the sky, albeit not as watchful as the ancient Mayans.


More down to earth and close to my heart is  “On this day in 1968, David Gilmour officially joined Pink Floyd, making the band a five-piece until April that year.”


What can I say, I have been a Pink Floyd, David Gilmour and Roger Waters fan since I can remember.  I have seen Pink Floyd, David and Roger several times, and hope to get to see them again.  I have also seen some really good cover bands the past couple of years and they like the real thing always seem to flash me back.  More on some of my Pink Floyd stories another day. 


I tried to decide on a photo of the day, but today will have to have a series of photos.  My feeble attempt to capture a decent shot of the moon tonight on my point and shoot just didn’t cut it.  Once in a blue moon, there will be multiple pictures.


Recipe available upon request, or just wait as I am sure it will get covered in a blog post.


Photo of the day “Paella”



Photo of the day “Pink Floyd”



See you on the Dark Side of the Moon




No comments:

Post a Comment