Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Beer

I remember watching a show called Bewitched and aside from the humor, I recall Mr. Tate and Darrin having a couple of drinks at lunch or at dinner parties.  Back in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and even early 90’s alcohol in or around the workplace was quite common.  I recall company parties, luncheons, dinners, etc. that served alcohol in excess for those who wished to partake.     

While working on Wall St., it was quite popular for the VP’s, Mgrs, etc. to grab a burger and a couple of beers at lunch.  After work was another story, when a VP would invite you, or his team out, it typically became a night of drinking.  You were actually frowned upon if you did not make a showing and have a few. In those days, we all took the train or some other mass transportation home, so there was little risk of DUI or DWI.

I was never really interested in beer, as I thought the taste was kind of bad, and it filled you up fast, so I couldn't really drink more than a couple anyway.  I remember spending a summer at my sister’s house in Naperville Illinois the year she moved from NY.  The neighborhood teenagers, yes 18, would chip in to buy some beers and hang out in the subdivision out of site.  Good clean fun, no one got drunk, or rowdy, and what the heck were we supposed to do every night.  That was my first summer, where a few Mickey’s Wide-mouth would get consumed, and it seemed the other guys would outpace me a good 2 to 1.  These were actually malt liquor, which I know now because I looked it up on the internet.  Judging from the alcohol content, 5.8% and the ease at which one could chug them down (wide mouth), no wonder it was a Midwest favorite.


http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2244943411


Mickey's is a malt liquor made by the Miller Brewing Company.[1] It has an alcohol content of 5.8% by volume.
Mickey's is widely known for its unique beehive-shaped, wide-mouthed 12 ounce bottle, often called a "grenade" due to its circular waffle design. The original packaging included Irish iconography with shamrocks, castle towers and an arm holding a mace.


I wouldn’t do anything like that now, in fact, it is rare that I would have a glass of wine, or saki, or even one beer at lunch or an after work get together.  Never been a big drinker, but I have to say that I prefer darker beers, or ales, but even then a couple will do.

This day in history “Canned beer makes its debut on this day in 1935. In partnership with the American Can Company, the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Company delivered 2,000 cans of Krueger's Finest Beer and Krueger's Cream Ale to faithful Krueger drinkers in Richmond, Virginia. Ninety-one percent of the drinkers approved of the canned beer, driving Krueger to give the green light to further production.”

As much as I like beer, which like I said is typically to have 1 or 2, there was nothing I really hated more than beer in a can.  In the old days, there was Rheingold (The Dry Beer), Bohack (cheap by the case), Budweiser (the king of beers), Michelob (for the taste),Strohs (fire brewed)  Miller (the high life), and Shafer (the one beer to have when your having more than one).  I can go on with names and sayings, but the worst beers I have ever had are Blatz, and Billy Beer. 

In the housing projects, there was Colt 45, OE800, and Ballantine in quarts purchased at the bodega, or corner fruit and veg market.   All of these in bottles of course.

Let’s face it, up until a few years ago, a beer in a can tasted like a can.  Aluminum made it less obvious that the beer was stored in a can, and with treated or lined interiors, it is harder to tell the difference.

Since there is no tequila in the house, I decided to crack open a nice refreshing Stella Artois while writing my blog.  I prefer Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Black and Tan, Guiness, or a craft or small no name ale over the lighter varieties.

Photo of the day “Beer”  

1 comment:

  1. Grog blog! I like it! A lot more interesting than the State of the Union. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete