Thursday, January 19, 2012

Nevermore


I am happy to report that Kyle did not have to use crutches today.  Being the worried parent, I asked him to take it slow, avoid the stairs and to wear his knee support.  When I got home this afternoon Kyle said that his knee hurts on the left side still, but is getting better.  Hope he puts his leg up soon and puts some ice on it.

It was exciting to see that the Blog has passed the 1000th view, and I hope the followers and readers are having as much fun reading it, as I am writing it.  I checked on the history of the day as usual, and prepared myself to capture the photo of the day.   Armed with my trusty pocket Nikon camera, I looked and looked, but just never spotted what I was looking for.   Unfortunately I was not successful, and may have to resort to a file photo, or take a picture of a picture.

Today in history “On this day in 1809, poet, author and literary critic Edgar Allan Poe is born in Boston, Massachusetts
He became known for his direct and incisive criticism, as well as for dark horror stories like "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Tell-Tale Heart." Also around this time, Poe began writing mystery stories, including "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter"--works that would earn him a reputation as the father of the modern detective story.
In 1844, the Poes moved to New York City. He scored a spectacular success the following year with his poem "The Raven." While Poe was working to launch The Broadway Journal--which soon failed

So goes my dilemma, do I try and incorporate Poes dark tales or poems into the blog.  My first thoughts were to take a photo of a black bird, crow, or raven.  Turns out Ravens are rare in New York to begin with, the black birds may have migrated for the winter, and there were no counting crows.

I remember when I first moved from Brooklyn to Long Island, all the nature and at least in the spring, summer, and fall, the giant black birds or crows hollering at each other.  They would also manage to make a mess of any garbage bag left open, or if the trash can lid flew off.  Recent years, I have seen and heard less and less of them.  West Nile virus may be blamed for some of the reported deaths of these birds, but does that really explain not seeing one today ?

The stories of Edgar Allan Poe were required reading at P.S. 201 in Flushing Queens, and I remember some of the stories being downright gory and scary.  The-Tell-Tale-Heart is the one I remember the most.  I thought about going to a butcher shop and asking the butcher if he had a beef or lamb heart that I could take a picture of.  Also the Raven, made famous in my mind by the late, great Vincent Price.


When I was introduced to the work of Vincent Price, it was also popular to watch such shows as Thriller, Twilight Zone, and a show that scared me so badly as a child….”Dark Shadows”  Days and years have gone by and now scary movie are really scary.   See Insidious if you don't believe me...

Photo of the Day “Nevermore”


No comments:

Post a Comment