Monday, January 9, 2012

Mermaid

Sounds like a common theme after the weekend, after the Christmas and New Years celebrations.  The Boomtown Rats (one hit wonder ?) told it like it is.

Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-woo-woo-woo-oot the whole day down

The alarm is set to the same time each weekday, but today that snooze button got pressed.  Sue was tossing and turning last nite, and even though I slept a lot better than her, I did here her from time to time…

I kicked the blankets on the floor
Turned my pillow upside down
I never never did before
'cause I was tossin' and turnin'
Turnin' and tossin'
a-tossin' and turnin' all night

Once at work it was business as usual.  Some incidents to attend to, meetings, and a couple of meaningful discussions with the guys to set the stage for the new year.   Once out of work it was time to think about dinner.  I drew a blank, but then remembered that Luke wanted pancakes for breakfast.  I didn’t make them , and knowing that Sue was tossin’ and turnin’, I wasn’t sure she was going to be cooking pancakes for him.  Stopped at the store and ended up with salmon and bacon. Don’t worry, no thoughts on combining them, but you never know.  Scallops and bacon are delicious.

 It was an easy decision when I came home and announced to Luke, Kyle, and Sue that we could have breakfast for dinner.  So, pancakes and bacon it was.  I ate a couple of eggs too, as I like more protein and less carbs, especially at nite.

This day in history “On this day in 1493, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, sailing near the Dominican Republic, sees three "mermaids"--in reality manatees--and describes them as "not half as beautiful as they are painted."
Mermaids, mythical half-female, half-fish creatures, have existed in seafaring cultures at least since the time of the ancient Greeks. Typically depicted as having a woman's head and torso, a fishtail instead of legs and holding a mirror and comb, mermaids live in the ocean and, according to some legends, can take on a human shape and marry mortal men.

It is funny to think that Columbus and crew would mistake a manatee for a mermaid.  I guess they never watched the ‘little mermaid’ a Disney favorite.  Maybe they were drinking wine, ale, or rum and after a long voyage, were delusional. 

After dinner, Kyle asked if he could go to Planet Fitness with me as a guest.  That was fun, and now with the resolutions in full swing the gym is mad house.  He managed to get a treadmill, and I got an elliptical machine.  We met up after about 30 minutes and we did some machines together.  He thinks he wants to join.  I think that’s a great idea. 

Knowing that I couldn’t get to Florida to take a photo of a manatee, and missing the Disney on Ice show as well (no photo of Ariel the mermaid), I would have to get creative.  

Photo of the day “Mermaid”

According to Starbucks - 16th century Norse woodcut of a twin-tailed mermaid, or Siren. There was something about her – a seductive mystery mixed with a nautical theme that was exactly what the founders were looking for. A logo was designed around her, and our long relationship with the Siren began.

No comments:

Post a Comment