Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top Guns


Woke up early because all good things must come to an end, including my vacation.   Had time to brew my K-Cup, make a couple of eggs, and pack some buffalo chicken into a sandwich bag.  Dropped off Kyle at his bus at 630am, and was in the office at 645am.
 
Had to try my password twice, thinking I forgot it after not having used it for a couple of weeks.  I had it right the first time, just fat fingered it.   Once logged in, I was hit by the reality that I had over 2000+ new emails to sift thru, read, answer, file, or delete.  The last option, delete being what I wanted to do, but like most others in the information technology business didn’t knowing that some of it was important.

A few issues fixed, some emails read, some work done, by noon it was time for my second cup of coffee.  Left the office early and headed to the dentist for a cleaning.  More like a scraping and chiseling if you ask me.  I can tell you that I brush and floss, and get my teeth cleaned 3x a year and it still sucks.

This day in history - On January 3, 1959, President Eisenhower signs a special proclamation admitting the territory of Alaska into the Union as the 49th and largest state.
The European discovery of Alaska came in 1741, when a Russian expedition led by Danish navigator Vitus Bering sighted the Alaskan mainland. Russian hunters were soon making incursions into Alaska, and the native Aleut population suffered greatly after being exposed to foreign diseases. In 1784, Grigory Shelikhov established the first permanent Russian colony in Alaska on Kodiak Island. In the early 19th century, Russian settlements spread down the west coast of North America, with the southernmost fort located near Bodega Bay in California.
Russian activity in the New World declined in the 1820s, and the British and Americans were granted trading rights in Alaska after a few minor diplomatic conflicts. In the 1860s, a nearly bankrupt Russia decided to offer Alaska for sale to the United States, which earlier had expressed interest in such a purchase. On March 30, 1867, Secretary of State William H. Seward signed a treaty with Russia for the purchase of Alaska for $7.2 million. Despite the bargain price of roughly two cents an acre, the Alaskan purchase was ridiculed in Congress and in the press as "Seward's folly," "Seward's icebox," and President Andrew Johnson's "polar bear garden." Nevertheless, the Senate ratified purchase of the tremendous landmass, one-fifth the size of the rest of the United States.


I can tell you that my rant about Global Warming the other day was unnecessary.  Now we are cold as Alaska.   My exciting day continued with Swedish Meatballs over egg noodles.  Needed to get to the Gym, so off to planet fitness for a quick 4 miles…Well not so quick.

Gavin has a new Blog, and no surprise it is about running, fitness, nutrition, etc.  Go take a look when you have a chance.   http://gavinsrunspace.blogspot.com/

Oh yeah Dan Wynne has one too.  http://thewinecollection.blogspot.com/
I am quite sure theirs will be more exciting than mine.

Photo of the day “Top Guns”

Shout out to Dan and Gavin for being the chilliest dudes around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment