Sunday, May 6, 2012

Luke caught a big Fluke

Slept late today.  Even though I heard everyone up before me, I decided to stay in bed till 9am.  Got up to find Sue and Kyle watching the Manchester City game, and Luke on his laptop.  I make eggs for Luke, Kyle and I.  Sue must have already eaten as she did not ask for any.  Manchester City wins 2-0.

Luke tells me the weather forecast which means we are going fishing later.  I plant the eight snap pea plants we picked up yesterday upstate NY at Pie in the Sky...a cute farm store that serves some very good home made ice cream.

Once the plants are in the ground, Luke and I head out to Lombardi Market for a ham and cheese hero.  We also stop at 7 Eleven for some soda.  

This day in history "

In a ceremony presided over by England's Queen Elizabeth II and French President Francois Mitterand, a rail tunnel under the English Channel was officially opened, connecting Britain and the European mainland for the first time since the Ice Age.
The channel tunnel, or "Chunnel," connects Folkstone, England, with Sangatte, France, 31 miles away. The Chunnel cut travel time between England and France to a swift 35 minutes and eventually between London and Paris to two-and-a-half hours.

As the world's longest undersea tunnel, the Chunnel runs under water for 23 miles, with an average depth of 150 feet below the seabed. Each day, about 30,000 people, 6,000 cars and 3,500 trucks journey through the Chunnel on passenger, shuttle and freight trains."

While I have never taken the chunnel, some folks I know in the UK have taken it, and say that they usually make the run to bring back cases of wine.   I would probably opt for a ferry across the channel, if the let me fish off the back....

We got to the Celtic Quest at around 1130, and it was cool, breezy, and cloudy.  I asked the capt. if we were fishing for fluke or porgies, or both.  For a change, it was fluke.  We picked a couple of spots on the port side rail and went into the cabin to wait.  At noon, the boat sounds its horn and starts backing out of its berth.  A minute later, before even making its U-turn, it pulls back in.  A father and son come running down the dock and are happy they did not get stranded on land.

30 minutes out of port, we get the signal that we will start fishing.  Within the first 1 minutes, Luke hooks up with the first fish of the day.  The mate nets the fish, a nice one, and after measuring it, the announcement is made that we have our first keeper.  This is also Luke's first keeper...I don't mean this year, I am talking first keeper fluke ever.  We have been under increasingly difficult catch limits and the size of the fish have always been just out of reach.

The weather turns warmer and shorts and tshirt are fine half the time...as long as the sun is shining thru the clouds.  Luke manages a hand full of fluke landed, me I get three...no more keepers for us, but for our season opener we are still high hook and happy that one of them will make it to dinner.

Photo of the day"Luke caught a big Fluke"


No comments:

Post a Comment