Wednesday, July 25, 2012

New fruits, veggies, and herbs in the CSA

Got up early and out of the house.  Made it to work by 7am and started really catching up on my emails since being out on vacation.

I heard it was nice outside, but I did not get back into the parking lot until after 4pm...ate lunch in 5 mins at my desk.

On the way home picked up my CSA share.  Fennel, Dill, Basil, Scallions, beets, corn, cucumbers, zucchini, the ever present Swiss chard, and some cool looking melons, yellow plums, and of course blue berries.

This day in history "On this day in 1978, Louise Joy Brown, the world's first baby to be conceived via in vitro fertilization (IVF) is born at Oldham and District General Hospital in Manchester, England, to parents Lesley and Peter Brown. The healthy baby was delivered shortly before midnight by caesarean section and weighed in at five pounds, 12 ounces."

Dinner consists of London Broil, corn (CSA), a salad (new cucumbers to eat).  I harvest the herbs while the meat cooks.  Tomorrow I will make tuna with some of the dill.  Kyle asks if the dill is the same as what is used to make kosher dill pickles.  I said yes.  Hmm...thats an idea.

After dinner, Luke twists my arm to go fishing at West Lake.  I comply and catch the first five bass tonight, frustrating him to no end.  He recovers and manages a few of his own.  A nice nite, almost no humidity, light breeze, nice sunset.  Luke bug sprays at dusk.....

Back home at 9pm, a full day and I am ready to settle in with a snack, beer, and blog.  Before sitting down, I put in some St Louis style ribs in the oven at 275 degrees to pre-cook for tomorrow.  BBQ ribs on the menu tomorrow.

Photo of the day "Yellow Mellon ?"


P.S. I may look for and steal a zucchini and blueberry bread or muffin recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Here is my cousin's recipe for by the jar dill pickles... http://nellcooks.blogspot.com/2012/06/by-jar-dill-pickles.html

    And there is a link to a Zucchini Blueberry Bread recipe in my last post...
    http://artmamasays.blogspot.com/2012/07/blueberries.html

    ReplyDelete