Tuesday, July 24, 2012

NYS Park Summer Run Series - Gavin takes silver

Another busy day at the office.  Why can't I win the lottery or something.

After work, cooked some salmon and go ready to go to Belmont Lake State Park for our summer run series.

About 1500 runners tonight.  I start out at the 9 min mile marker...when will I learn to move up so as not to waste time at the start of the race with a crowd barely walking for the first quarter mile.  That hurts my time.  I am looking for under 27 minutes.

This day in history "On July 23, 1996, at the Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia, the U.S. women’s gymnastics team wins its first-ever team gold.
The 1996 U.S. women’s team, nicknamed the "Mag 7" or "magnificent seven," was made up of seven immensely talented teenaged girls: Amanda Borden, Amy Chow, Dominique Dawes, Shannon Miller, Dominique Moceanu, Jaycie Phelps and Kerri Strug. The team entered the Summer Olympics with the expectations of an entire country heaped on their young shoulders. They were considered America’s best shot ever at an Olympic team gold, something no American women’s gymnastics team had ever won. The American women’s best finish to that point had been a silver at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, which were boycotted by the favored Soviet Union, winner of eight consecutive team golds between 1952 and 1980."

We are getting ready for the Olympics at ThomsonReuters, as it is one of the biggest news events of the year.  My team and I are ready, nobody is allowed to be on vacation.  Fingers crossed we have luck with our systems handling the load.

Back to the summer series.  Gavin is running for Team Fox.  His girlfriend is visiting so I was pretty sure he was going to go 'HAM'...as Krista would say, "GO HAM" or "GO HOME".  At race time, the weather cooled down a bit, but still very humid.  Gavin finishes 2nd in his age group (silver medal) and 4th overall out of about 1500 racers.  I finish in the 50th percent for my age group with a respectable (but no personal best) time of 28:09.  Like I said, if I didn't loose those 30-40 secs at the front of the race stuck behind the crowd I think I would have had my PB.

Belmont State Park had really clever parking arrangements and after the race, we were funneled quickly out and in the correct direction based on where we came off the highway when entering the park.  Home early enough to make a snack and watch some gator boys.

Sorry for the late entry, but I fell asleep on the couch again after my snack and a shot of tequila.

Photo of the day "NYS Park - Gavin Silver"



P.S. Next time, I am starting in the 7 minute slot...even if some folks pass me, I cant afford at my pace to loose time in the beginning of the race...


No comments:

Post a Comment