Thursday, August 9, 2012

Going the extra mile

7 at 6

Preoccupied, I start waking up at 5am...stay in bed till about 5:45 and then get up to go for a run.  Big surprise as I have moved my runs to the morning since mother nature turned up the heat.

Halfway into my run, I am close to the Islip grange, and am feeling good.  The sun just peaking thru some early morning clouds, a low ground fog settled on the grass.  At mile 3, I decide to go a little further.  Once I reach Montauk Highway, I turn around.

Heading back home, my GPS tracker Endomondo, chimes in that I am at mile 6, and I am a mile from home.      If you want to be reach your goals, you may have to go the extra mile.

This day in history "
On August 9, 2000, tire manufacturer Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. announces that it is recalling 6.5 million of its model ATX, ATX II and Wilderness AT tires; the move comes two days after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration linked hundreds of accidents and at least 46 deaths to problems with the tread on the tires."

It is terrible that the tires that caused the accidents and deaths did not get picked up in the quality control tests.  These tires did not go the extra mile.

Once at work, I meet up with my boss, and a visitor.  A developer from Beijing.  Terrence is a great guy, always willing to help.  He lives on the other side of the world, and is available somehow day and night.  He admits to working 12+ hour days.....He goes the extra mile.

As I approach the ripe young age of 50, I realize that all the hard work I put in to get where I am today, is only as good as how much I am willing to continue to go the extra mile.  To be honest, there is more to life than work, and it is important to strike a reasonable balance.  If I work more hours, will I have enough time at the beginning or end of the day to run that extra mile ?

Photo of the day "Going the extra mile"


P.S. Don't forget to play the lottery. Winners always go the extra mile.......

No comments:

Post a Comment