Friday, November 9, 2012

Red Sky at Night, Sailors Delight

Thursday morning looked ugly, and the wake-up call from Sachem schools at 5am, a real eye opener.

Yes, school was cancelled again at Sachem due to weather.  This brings us to a total of (8) days of missed school, that will need to be made up at some point.  Good thing I didn't book that timeshare and flight to sunny Florida for the end of June.

The roads were a bit mushy and slick by the time I left the house for work at 9am.  Started my day working from home with early meetings.  So very fortunate to have phone and internet while hundreds of thousands on Long Island still don;t have power.

This day in history "On this day in 1895, physicist Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen (1845-1923) becomes the first person to observe X-rays, a significant scientific advancement that would ultimately benefit a variety of fields, most of all medicine, by making the invisible visible. Rontgen's discovery occurred accidentally in his Wurzburg, Germany, lab, where he was testing whether cathode rays could pass through glass when he noticed a glow coming from a nearby chemically coated screen. He dubbed the rays that caused this glow X-rays because of their unknown nature.
X-rays are electromagnetic energy waves that act similarly to light rays, but at wavelengths approximately 1,000 times shorter than those of light. Rontgen holed up in his lab and conducted a series of experiments to better understand his discovery. He learned that X-rays penetrate human flesh but not higher-density substances such as bone or lead and that they can be photographed."

I had an xray last week, or was that almost 2 weeks ago now.  Pain in my right leg/hip/hammy...if you read the blog, you know.  Anyway the Dr. used that inexpensive and primitive diagnostic tool to rule out a fracture.  Then he ordered an MRI (like he was ordering a pastrami sandwich at the deli).  Then the storm came.  So, earlier this week I finally got my MRI.

On my way home from work, I go to get some Chinese takeout.  Sue called in the order as I was leaving work.  Food is ready when I get there, so I hand over my shiny new credit card (just got a replacement due to FRAUD alert on my old one).  The card does not go thru.  They try again, but still no good.  I have some cash I was saving, just in case I need gas....

I think my credit and bank card are no longer usable because they were in my pocket with the cash when I went into the MRI tunnel.  The the tech never asked if anything was in my pocket.  I left my cell phone and keys in my jacket.  What a dumb ass...

The Red Bulls lose their playoff game after being snowed out the other night.  What was Henry thinking as he blew the game for the team encroaching during a PK, and then not taking the final free kick.  Luckily for us, the NY COSMOS are coming back, and will be playing in Hofstra next year....I had that ride over the bridge into NJ anyway.

Photo of the day "Red Sky at Night, Sailors Delight" (Lifted from Barbara Bartoli)


The Red Sky last night is usually a sign for mariners that the storm has gone and that brighter high pressure systems are taking over.  Time for me to start preparing for a last of the year fishing trip to Port Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment