Saturday, October 6, 2012

Over the bridge

As is typical this time of year, we have soccer games to go to.  Today, it is in the old neighborhood, Brooklyn.  No mapquest, hotel, or driving directions needed for this one.

We get on the road at 730 and are pulling into the parking area at Aviator field (Floyd Bennet), a stones throw from Marine Park where Sue grew up.  Aside from the turf fields, things look basically the same in and around the old airfields.

Since we arrive about an hour before game time, I let Sue know that I am going for a run.  I can assure you that this is my first time running in Brooklyn, even though I called it home for 10 years.

This day in history "

On this day in 1866, the Reno gang carries out the first robbery of a moving train in the U.S., making off with over $10,000 from an Ohio & Mississippi train in Jackson County, Indiana. Prior to this innovation in crime, holdups had taken place only on trains sitting at stations or freight yards."

No robberies today at the soccer fields, unless you think that $4 for a pretzel is robbery.

I start my run on Flatbush Ave. heading south towards the Gill Hodges (Marine Parkway) bridge.  I only have about 45 minutes so I am not sure how far I will get.  10 minutes later, I have the span in site and notice that the pedestrian lane is in good shape and that bikes should yield to peds.

Just after mid-span I notice the droan of steel belts on the steel roadway.  That familiar sound tires make as they pass over the metal roadway of these suspension bridges is a lot louder when you are not in the car.  A breezy morning as I peer to my right and see Breezy Point.  Endomondo announces 2 miles as I step foot in Queens, pass under the bridge and into Rockaway.

Fisherman are lines up on the seawall, and after hitting the 20 minute mark, I decide to turn and head back to Brooklyn.  No fish caught or hooked in the brief time I am there.  No fish in the buckets..... amateurs.

Back at the field we notice that there is real grass growing in the artificial turf.  In between games, Luke and I adventure over to the marina across the street.  Kyle gets an assist, and the team wins both games today.  Kyle tweaks his right Knee today and sits out the 2nd game.  Wouldn't you know it, the St. Johns University head coach came down to the field to see him play, only he did not play the 2nd game.

A day in Brooklyn takes us to R&R (Kyle got his roast beef and fries w/CHEEZ), and Randazzos.  My childhood friend who lives in Queens walks into Randazzos a few minutes after us...we catch up a bit.  Never in a million years would we expect to see each other here.  Raw, Baked, Steamers, Calamari, soup, more Steamers.....YUM !!

Gavin sprained his ankle the other night and today got the prognosis.  At least the ankle is not broken.  10 days minimum with little to no activity.  At least it is not broken.  He may miss some Hartwick XC meets.  A bummer, but he has a good support system up at Hartwick (we will only worry a little).

Back home, Luke and I go to San Suci and walk a mile into the woods to one of the lakes.  All I can tell you is that there are fish in those lakes....Luke catches two really nice bass.  I hook a couple and loose them in the weeds.

Chicken Cutlets and Penne with Vodka sauce for dinner.  Finally get to sit down at around 8pm.  A little bit tired from the busy day...not as tired as Sue, who fell asleep on the couch.

Photo of the day "Over the Bridge"



P.S. Kyle will ask the Physical Therapist to work on both knees now.  His coach talked to the St Johns coach and it sounds like Kyle will get a chance to go to a clinic at the college in two weeks and with some luck, he will be in good shape and play well for the St Johns coach to see.  We are sure once a college sees Kyle play, and his grades, they will be excited to have him apply.




No comments:

Post a Comment